Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The first week

We moved in to the river house November 1, 2012. It was the day I was supposed to be induced with baby Charlie but my induction was cancelled. Moving at 39 weeks pregnant is probably ill advised but I was so excited to be back to regular life that we pushed through. My husband Nick's job moved us to Owatonna,Minnesota in early 2012 and I came back to Texas in October because he was traveling back and forth every other week and I was pregnant with a busy two year old. I lived with my inlaws for two weeks and my parents for two weeks waiting for our lease to start. Although everyone was very hospitable and treated Addy and me wonderfully, we were ready to be back to normal and have Nick living with us instead of in a hotel an hour away. We found the river house by chance, we were looking for a rental home in a very suburban neighborhood that my husband compared to the Trueman show. It was nice and safe and every house looked the same and literally had a white pickett fence. Our realtor showed us one and then told us she had another place we might like but it was a bit off the beaten path. We agreed to take a look and were sold before we even saw the tiny house. The Blanco river runs through the 10 acre property holding 1 big house and 3 little cottages (yes Nick, I called it a cottage). We looked at the cottage without intending to get it. We wanted three bedrooms and two bathrooms and neighbors with little kids. We looked around the tiny two bedroom one bathroom cottage and thanked the realtor and drove away. In the car Nick and I both said "We can't live there" and listed off reasons like too crowded, bugs, snakes, the water being so close with a toddler and then drove back by the town homes. We decided we have our whole lives to live in suburbia and this is the only time our family will ever fit into a quaint little place like the cottage on the river. We called the landlord when we were about 10 miles away, turned around and signed a 13 month lease. The first night in the river house Nick and I fell asleep to the sound of crickets and woke up to cows mooing in the distance. Actually we woke up to Addy saying "It's morning time. My get up so early" but then we heard the cows. We spent 4 days unpacking, cleaning, exploring, swimming (just Nick and Addy) and fishing. We drove to San Antonio Monday morning for my doctor appointment and Charles James was born Tuesday November 6 at 1:35 pm. He was 8 lbs 10 oz, 20 inches and so beautiful. Addy loves having a baby around to help with. We were back at the river house Wednesday night as a family of four. This is a place for me to write about our daily lives and my hope is to print it all to share with my children when they are older.

No comments:

Post a Comment